The Baking Bible: Golden Orange Panettone

This was for last week's catch-up week, but I have been very sluggish about blogging. Here's the Cliff's notes version of this project.

I substituted chocolate chips for the raisins, as I am tired of raisins in my baked goods. Since I made this substitution, I didn't soak anything in booze (the raisins were supposed to be soaked in booze). Also, I didn't make the chocolate drizzle glaze, thinking there was enough chocolate already. I now regret I didn't make the chocolate drizzle glaze, because there wasn't enough chocolate already.

Otherwise, I followed the recipe pretty spot on. It was a delicious, soft, rich bread. Considering it takes a week to make the panettone, it was all in all pretty easy and actually very hands off. Most of the week is spent in various forms of rising and fermenting. There were a couple of times I think the dough rose a bit too long--I blame the child's terrible sleep habits--maybe that's why the final bread has bigger holes then I remember seeing on some of the other Alpha Baker's projects. Here's Marie's roundup of all the other baker's panettone. 

biga, after three days of fermenting



    

the sticky dough, ready for the first knead and rise

and the finished product!

looking down from the top
  

Comments

  1. It looks really good - I love the brown flecks from the chocolate chips. If you ever decide to make it with raisins, I suggest adding some regular raisins. The golden raisins are great, but you they kind of get lost in the bread which is close to the same color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crumb looks perfect to me! Great golden color. I can just imagine it with chocolate chips. Ohhhh, this makes me want a piece but I doubt I can face making it again until Christmas. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the chocolate chip and orange sounds wonderful… the bake looks perfect to me. Another recipe to add to the every burgeoning "have to make that" list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like you added chocolate chips! Such great idea! Orange and chocolate pairs so well together! Next time I want to add chocolate chip too..If there is a next time.. takes forever to make this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts