The Baking Bible: Double Damage Oblivion

This is a super chocolate bomb. I "glued" the layers together with the optional raspberry jam instead of the ganache called for, and it is a chocolate bomb. I can't imagine how bombier this cake would be with three chocolate components! The Double Damage Oblivion is for all the chocolate lovers out there.


The cake is composed of the Chocolate Oblivion, a flourless chocolate cake, sandwiched between layers of the Deep Chocolate Passion Cake. This cake was one of the first RLB cakes I made. Super simple, super rich. The best chocolate gets melted with butter, eggs get beaten, everything gets folded together and baked to creamy, wonderful rich perfection. Interestingly and annoyingly, my cake took an extra 30 minutes to come up to temperature. WHY, stupid oven, WHY?


The Deep Chocolate Passion cake is from Rose's Heavenly Cakes and I've made this one a lot of times, too. It is light and spongy yet not a sponge cake. It is most like a box cake of all the homemade cakes I have made, so if you have one of those people in your life who only likes Betty Crocker and you're trying to get them off the crap cakes, this is the cake to start with. In an interesting twist, this cake only needed a couple of extra minutes to come to temperature.


Then the Deep Chocolate Passion cake gets cut in half. Like I said I opted for the raspberry jam to glue the cakes together and it took about 5 ounces total, heated and sieved to get rid of the seeds.


Then it was time to eat.


It is really amazingly delicious, and really rich and chocolaty. Now I know exactly what to make for those "death by chocolate" people.


For further reading, if you're interested:

Deep Chocolate Passion Cakes
Chocolate Oblivion

Comments

  1. LOL! I think I didn't make the Deep Chocolate Passion cake from HCB.. I can't remember this cake. I have to go and check it out. So smart of you to sandwich between raspberry jam.. I think it would have been better than ganache imo. For chocolate lover like me, I find it really chocolate bomb too.. I like how you describe it as 'bomb'.. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really turned out nice! For a chocoholic like myself, I'm dragging my feet on this one. Too much chocolate so I think I'll follow your lead and go do the raspberry thing. I was going to pour cherries over it. Plus the whole water bath thing. Not a fan of doing water baths. Can't believe you made this with a toddler running around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake looks good… much higher than mine, are you using bleached flour? Rose says that results in a higher cake, but we don't have bleached flours in Australia. I wanted to use raspberry jam but the intended chocoholic recipient looked horrified… I think the jam is nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake is GORGEOUS! It turned out so well, it looks like a page from one of Rose's books! I'm with Vicki--you are amazing to have pulled this off with your toddler at your feet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful cake, I absolutely love how yours came so nice, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good job! Beautifully sliced, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your oven must have wanted a couple extra "moments" with chocolate cake 🍫

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts